Mission Essential is looking for a Spanish Rater I for a full time position located in Arlington, Virginia. A Rater is a certified Tester and a certified Examiner. A Rater serves as a Rater for language proficiency examinations, performing flexibly in the role of either a Tester or Examiner as needed due to the testing schedule. Proficiency tests may be face-to-face or by digital video conference or another technology-based medium (such as telephone, recorded audio, recorded video). The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) language proficiency test rates the test taker's skills in reading and speaking.
In addition, each Spanish Rater I shall have the capability to:
• May participate in the creation and piloting of new reading kits to be used in language proficiency testing.
• May participate in the production of audio or video materials for use in conjunction with LTU testing training.
• May conduct test reviews following procedures defined by documentation in the LTU’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• May conduct Quality Control on language proficiency tests assigned by LTU representative following procedures defined by documentation in the LTU’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• May be requested to conduct End-of-Training (EOT) tests at one of FSI’s overseas field schools and/or regional programs.
• Collaborate with COR, ACOR, GTM and/or others, to participate in the reviewing and editing of foreign language and/or English testing materials.
• Adhere to all copyright guidelines and restrictions and follow FSI and SLS procedures regarding copyright.
• Adhere to all guidelines and follow all procedures regarding testing material security and safeguarding test score data.
• Current FSI Tester and Examiner certification.
• English proficiency of 3 or higher (ILR scale) in speaking, documented and certified through an approved third party vendor listed on documentation provided by FSI/SLS/LTU. Contractor companies will be required to provide this verification document from the third party vendor prior to an in-person screening.
• Native language proficiency of 4 or higher (ILR scale) in speaking and reading documented and certified through an approved third party vendor listed on documentation provided by FSI/SLS/LTU. Contractor companies will be required to provide this verification document from the third party vendor prior to an in-person screening.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
· Experience conducting proficiency-based tests (e.g., DLAB, ACTFL OPI) in one or more foreign languages.
· BA/BS, MA/MS or PhD in language testing, evaluation and measurement, educational assessment, applied linguistics, second language acquisition or related field.
· Experience in designing and/or selecting testing materials.
· Experience with online delivery systems used to administer proficiency-based exams.